“Promoting a Passion for Life- Long Learning”
Rehabilitation is a healing process and it must involve every aspect of a person. The Los Angeles Mission’s Urban Training Institute is designated to facilitate holistic restoration of men and women whose lives have been devastated by the dis-integrative aspects of homelessness and/ or substance abuse. It serves the total person: spirit, soul and body and addresses all issues from a relational rehabilitation approach.
- Jump Start: Induction is a one month course, which allows candidates to get acquainted with UTI and to decided if they want to make a two-year commitment.
- Fresh Start: The foundation track of the UTI student’s first year is relational rehabilitation. In addition to rehabilitation, all students are required to pursue academic studies and vocational training.
- Work Start: The second year of UTI expedites transition back into society. The Career Services Department trains and counsels students throughout their transition. Successful transition is re-connection in society with employment, living wages and affordable housing.
The Henry Salvatori Learning Center is available to male and female students who reside at the Los Angeles Mission, the Anne Douglas Center and in the community as well. The Learning Center is equipped with 45 computer lab workstations. Classes offered on-site are as follows:
- Adult Basic Education (improves academic skills such as reading, writing and math)
- Computer and Non-Computerized Education
- High School Completion or GED Readiness Classes ( English and Spanish)
- Computer Literacy Classes
- Standardized Test Preparation
- Computer Fundamentals
- On-line Courses
- Customer Service
- English As A Second Language- offers language training to improve English communication skills
- Independent Studies
- Bible Classes*
*Angelus Bible Institute has partnered with the Mission in accepting the transfer of our Bible classes. (Pauls’ letter to the Romans, Synoptic Gospels, Acts, Systematic Theology)
Many classes are taught by State Certified teachers from Belmont Community Adult School, which is the largest adult school in the nation. Life Skills classes such as Anger Management, Domestic Violence, Smoking Cessation and Parenting are taught by certified instructors. The Learning Center has recently purchased the PLATO Learning System to enrich the academic study of our student population.
Each student is individually assessed by a State Certified Student Counselor to determine his/her academic strength, weakness and learning style in order to create the ideal strategy for success. The assessment is extremely thorough.
Most of the students who attend the Los Angeles Mission are in need of love and encouragement. As part of the learning experience, we offer programs so students can attend social recreation such as museums, art galleries and sport events.
Prolonged drug and alcohol abuse results in extensive physical deterioration. The Urban Training Institute’s physical education courses provide a structured program in which all UTI students participate. P.E. classes are the weight room and gymnasium. Intramural team sports, involvement in city leagues and running the L.A Marathon are highlights of this program.
Spiritual Life Studies:
Christianity is relational. Students are encouraged to develop their relationship with God through personal faith in Christ Jesus. Spiritual life studies contribute to character development and spiritual growth. If you are a church and would like to partner with us, please contact Ana Ceravolo at (213) 629-1227 ext. 387.
Annual UTI Events:
- Commencement Ceremonies: Feb 10, 2012; June 8, 2012; October 12, 2012 @7:00pm
- Mother’s Day Event, Saturday, May 12, 2012
- Father’s Day Event June 17, 2012
- Staff/Student Picnic
- Student Awards Evening – 4th Wednesday of every month
- Student Christmas Party- December